Old May 12th 04, 03:18 PM
ntl: Victim

"R. Marshall Chew" wrote in message
Installed two drives on Windows XP Pro PC (P4C800 Deluxe) using the
onboard Intel ICH5 SATA controller (not the Promise controller). Didn't
have to do the "F6" routine on install as XP recognized the SATA drives.
Here is my question: In device manager, C (WD740 raptor boot drive) and
D (Seagate 160) both show as 3rd and 4th master and there are two
instances of "eide controllers" (DVD and CDRoms are on the regular ide
controllers 1 and 2). In the BIOS the drives show as UDMA-6 (on boot-
up), but windows shows them as UDMA-5. I am not running RAID, just 2
SATA drives. Are the drives running at the full 150 speed or are they
being limited to regular Ultra ATA drives because they are connected to
the ICH5 controller? I get a different answer from everyone I ask.
Should I move the drives to the Fastrack controller to "insure" I'm
getting the right performance or leave them as is? Again, no RAID.
Thanks for anyone who can give me the answer.

Is this a P4C800 Deluxe or the P4C800 E-Deluxe?

If it is just the Deluxe and not the E-Deluxe then you don't have the ICH5
Sata Controller, this model only has the Promise one.