Old October 19th 03, 11:31 AM
Michael Brown

CoCo wrote:
"Michael Brown" skrev i meddelandet
Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
"Michael Brown" writes:

the case temp as well, and possibly the ambient temp if you're in
some place

And don't just say "ambient temp", because that can mean the air
surrounding the case or the air surrounding the CPU/HSF (or the air
surrounding anything else, strickly speaking). (I base this
statement on the definition of "ambient" and having recently read
some Intel doc that used "ambient" to refer to the air surrounding
the CPU/HSF).

(Presuming your definition of ambient temp is the temperature
outside the system, thermodynamically speaking)

True, I hadn't actually thought of that Ambient for the HSF/CPU
system would be the case temperature, and for the computer as a
whole would be the room temperature. So I suppose strictly speaking,
if the post was only concerned about the HSF (as in the Intel
document I presume) then ambient would be case, and if it mentioned
things like case fans, etc then it would be the room temperature. So
I agree, it's best to explicitly say case or room temperatures.

hi

Hello!

one more thing! whitch bios the mb use. yes bios. i have a water
setup and my mobo use internal temp diod only but dependent on the
bios installed i get different temp readouts. vendor of mobo have
changed the algorithm!

gigabyte ga-7n440 pro2 rev2 with a barton 2500+ @ 2100mhz

Weird ... the Gigabyte site doesn't acknowledge the existance of the Pro2 on
its products page, but has a page on the site ...

f1 bios (came with the mb) level out at 36°c. (start temp idle 19°c
with bus dissconect fea.)

Heh, this is obviously broken ... idling at below the room temperature
violates the second law of thermodynamics

f5 bios (latest) level out at 49°c. (start temp idle 32°c with bus
dissconect fea.)
load temps with prime after 5hours with ambient room temp of 20°c
(testmate).
meassured (testmate) case temp 25°c (internat mb case temp probe
report 30°c f5 bios).

Hmm, interesting ... I presume this is with MBM5 (or equavalent), not the
BIOS viewing screen? Also, are you sure it's the diode temperature, ie: does
it spike up pretty much instantly when load is applied (set MBM5 to update
every second to see this clearly)? If it is the diode temperature then
(besides it being impressive at ~0.36 deg C/W) this is quite worrying.
There should be no need for motherboard manufacturers to adjust the reading
of the core temperature, unless there is a bug in the measuring. If I get
the time I might send off an email to Gigabyte inquiring about the changes
made, though I doubt I'll get a sensible response.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more