Old September 25th 03, 01:55 AM
kony

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:04:29 +0000 (UTC), Baffie
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:17:19 -0700, Brian Jones
wrote:

On this day of our lord, Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:07:08 +0000 (UTC), Baffie
quilled:

Antec case - the sonata - great design, sideways mounted hard drives
on rubber mounts do indeed cut down on drive noise

Front of case has poor ventilation, but they are on the right track by
using a 120mm fan. Look inside a Mac G5 to see it done right. I would
rather mod my Antec 1080 to be silent than buy the Sonata as my
current case has much better ventilation and no front case door
getting in the way.

Can't say I noticed a problem. With temp controlled fans, they'll only
blow out harder when they are needed, and consequently, they'll only
draw in air from the front when they need to.

That is a potential problem. When the system is essentially idle,
creating less heat, the fans slow down, draw in less air, but the HDD
are still spinning, need as much cooling but don't get it. One way to
combat that would be temp-controlled fans with their sensor(s)
attached to the hard drive, which is also possible if there's a front
intake fan.

Dave