Old August 20th 03, 08:15 AM
Ron Merts

Honestly, save your $100. The human optical system cannot detect any
differences over 80-100fps. The FX 5900 and FX 5900 Ultra produce frame
rates well above what the human senses can detect. If you want bragging
rights about having the fastest video card, get the Ultra, if you want to
save some money and still get a very good card that will give you the
results you are looking for, go with the 128Mb card. If you're just dying
to spend that extra $100, I'll give you my address and you can send it to me

Ron

"Jason" wrote in message
om...
Nvidia's naming is wacky for these two. It's not very clear that they
don't make a 5900 Ultra in 128MB. Rather, the 5900 is the 128MB, and
the 5900 Ultra is the 256MB. got it.

so now - who has compared these two? i see that i can get an eVGA
5900 128MB for $300 shipped (the price just dropped about $50 in the
last week).

the 5900 Ultras are running just over $400 shipped online.

is 50MHz more clock speed and 128MB more RAM worth it the extra
$100-$125?

Mainly, I just want Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 to be kickass at 1280x1024
with AA, AF and full everything. my wallet is leaning towards the
128MB 5900..

anybody have any online comparison of the two in terms of benchmarks?

thanks..