Old January 19th 04, 04:25 AM
kony

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:48:59 GMT, wrote:

My main computer seems slower than it should be. This has been the case
for some time, but when I got the game Ubi for Christmas, I found it
unplayable. I turn everything off and run it when my son's family is by,
but I can't get responses that allow me to move smoothly at all nor do such
needed things as jump over a chasm.

My biggest suspect is my video card - quite often when I turn off my
computer, I get an "End Program" window after Windows cannot close my Nvida
Twin View window. I have a video card with two outputs going to two
monitors.

I need some advice about how to improve my performance.

Running Belarc Advisor, I see:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)
933 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Loads of hot fixes.

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 Korea Data Systems Visual Sensation VS-7
[Monitor](15.2" vis, June 1998_
Sony GDM-19PS [Monitor] (18.0"vis...
Aurilium Sound Agent 2 (WDM)
Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
Creative SBLive! Gamport
USB Audio device

I am attached to my DSL modem via a cable modem router.
I have a bunch of USB ports

That's a lot of software, some of which may be running in the
background. Terminate unused OS services and anything unnecessary
running in the background.

I know nothing of "Ubi", but in general your system is now outdated,
slow by gaming standards. The CPU, video card, and amount of system
memory need upgraded.. or rather, there's not much point in adding the
memory since we're talking a complete system rebuild.

Avoid USB audio devices, they use more CPU time than decent
soundcard, especially if any type of special effects or multi-channel
sound is employed in games.

You system would be quite adequate for email/office/'surfing the 'net,
but for gaming it's time to retire it.