Old October 3rd 04, 01:32 AM
willbill

Peltio wrote:

"willbill" wrote

Can I use a 160 GB hard disk on a Gigabyte Titan 8IEXP with Win98SE?

vcom's system commander 8.1 sez 98SE can only use
the 1st 64GB of a disk (even if your h/w sees the
whole disk)

This seems to be a limitation of the old FDISK program, later overcome with
the WinME version.

fwiw, i finally ran WinMe recently for about
5 weeks total. what a POS! if you think Win 9x
still has merit (and imo it does), 98SE is still
THE one

you'd be best to avoid using the fdisk and format
that come with 98SE with these new very large
hard drives, which is one reason why i gave reference
to vcom's System Commander and Partition Commander

fwiw, i used the included (free if you get the CD)
partition commander to define about 75GB in
5 fat32 partitions on a 160GB drive, the last of
which was 30GB. i was able to use that last partition,
but my hunch is that that was coz i only put less
than 1GB of data on it

i then used their partition commander to resize
all 5 partitions to 63GB

So you are using only 63 GB of a 160 GB HD?
Seems a lot of wasted space

i'm mid-way with a quad boot setup with
DOS (98!), Win 98SE, Win2000, and eventually Linux

my plan is to get started with DVD under
Win2000 coz that's were the best software is
likely to be, and while you can get around the
4GB file limit (using a 9x OS), i rather like Win2000
and want to get more experience with it, especially
now that it's at patch level 4 grin

My old 80 GB hard disk was far from full but I had data in the last
partition, well over the 64 GB limit.
Ther 137 GB limit I am talking about is a limitation of Win98 and WinMe.

that "137" is likely a hardware limit (with
older hardware); if it's also specific to
software (specifically 98SE and WinMe vs.
the 64 that vcom mentioned) i'll
certainly be interested

other than my quote of what vcom has to say in their
very current System Commander manual (i got it 4 weeks ago,
re the 9x OSes (95a, 98SE and WinMe) best used within
the 1st 64GB of new/large hard drives), i'm leary of
trying to pin it down from trial and error coz
it just takes too long and is not worth it

if you wanna define 64 GB on a large
hard drive for use with 98SE (and the
"cooperative" multi-tasking 98SE apps!),
good luck coz i think you're gonna need it

The Intel Application Acceleration driver should allow me to use the whole
disk, but I wanted to hear from someone who actually did it

me too

but i trust vcom enough that i decided
to only define fat32 partitions within
the 1st 63GB of the disk and be done with it

btw, since i don't know what the limits of the
original Win2000 fdisk app is, i plan to initially
use Partition Commander to define a NTFS
partitions on this 1st disk from
63GB-to-136GB (talk about getting gun
shy over the screwy things that happen
when you use old software with new disks
that go beyond what they were designed for...)

once i get it upgraded to SP4 i'll use
Partition Commander to extend the NTFS
partition to 160GB

fwiw, i plan to add a 2nd 160GB later, primarily
as a work area

I would not want to find out
it was not feasible at the 138th GB when my last snapshot would overwrite
the MBR : )))))

I am pretty confident that your system could use up to 127 GB (at least, but
prolly even 137 GB) of space.
But please do not try to use it before a full backup of your data : )))

tell me about it. :\

i used the 98SE format command
(at the "" after a hard boot from a
98SE floppy), to reset the D:\ partition

it wiped out the C:\ partition

jeez louise! :'-(

but it was 3:00AM and i wasn't sure
i was thinking sharp, so i called
it a night figuring that i'd
mistyped the command

but i'd used DOS Ghost to backup the
entire 160GB disk (to another 160GB disk),
so next morning i backed up again from that
and retried the same format command

this time i made sure it was: "format d:\"
from the "a:\" prompt, and sure enough it once
again wiped out the c:\ partition.

since i'd suspected that that might happen,
i'd copied the C:\ partition files and
was back up and running with c:\ within 10 minutes
(using DOS Ghost took about than an hour)

since i only keep files with short names on c:\,
any long names i lost from my simple 10 minute
copy were likely specific to my earier install
of 98SE (to D:\W98)

bill

I am willing to reach the 137 GB and maybe letting the remaning space at
Linux disposal.

cheers,
Peltio
invalid addres in reply-to. crafty demunging required to mail me.