Old January 9th 04, 08:11 AM
kony

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:39:56 -0600, "philo" wrote:

"John Webster" wrote in message
. com...
I read the following two posts on a PC maintenance discussion forum
and would very much appreciate any input and comments from this group.

snipped for brevity

Although i'm sure it's possible that a drive could have failed after using
some disk imaging software...it's not terribly likely the software is what
caused the drive to die. I doubt if imaging a drive is going to put any more
stress on it
than defragging would.

As far as the post where someone actually removed one of the chips
on the harddrive controller, then reprogrammed it...I am rather skeptical.
The post stated that he opened the drive in near laboratory conditions. The
harddrive controller is normally exposed to the environment. You do not
"open the drive" to get at the controller portion...so my guess is that
the post was just a lot of bunk!

I was thinking the same thing... the PROM is not inside the main
platter compartment but on the PCB... seems like fiction to me.