Old October 11th 18, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communicationservice to diagnose it ???)

wrote:
I have an idea, I could try and program a small little php script that sends some udp packets to my computer, maybe later even a full tcp/ip connection.

Not entirely sure if my webhoster allows this but I think so...

Now this my not shed a lot of light if problem is on my side, but it's worth a shot.

Bye,
Skybuck.

(My deal/proposal with you is still valid though )

Well, to get this lucrative project under way, I
need to know the *model number* of the modem. Just
in case it's a modem/router... Is it an Alcatel or
a Fritz, or something else ?

ISP ---- accidentally misconfigured modem ---- single computer

*******

You can convert a modem/router into a modem by using
"bridged mode". That's what my setup uses.

And while you're working up an answer, you really ought to
try GRC Shields Up and scan your external IP and see
what ports are open or closed or stealth.

Roughly speaking:

Open - returned an ACK

Closed - returned a NACK (but the person scanning you,
now knows there is a hardware device present)

Stealth - made no response, ignored packet

That's my understanding of what the status on the GRC
page means.

HTH,
Paul