Old August 31st 10, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tazz[_2_]

Default 9800 gt

On 31/08/2010 1:34 AM, Robert Miles wrote:
wrote in message
On 30/08/2010 3:15 AM, Bill wrote:
Thanks for the info will check link
Bill
"Robert wrote in message

wrote in message
Ok gurus need a little help
OEM8800GTS dying and would prefer a single slot 9 inch card
Seems the 9800GT would be closest to buy.
What's a good brand/manufacturer? Really not familiar with any of
them.
If I have to get dual slot then please also recommend
Budget less than $200
Only game is MS FSX
Thanks
Bill

My 9800 GT uses a single slot. Checking what company made it
is too inconvenient to do now.
I've been considering an upgrade to a GT 240 - somewhat more
performance at about half the power, and still uses a single slot.
You may want to check here to compare some Nvidia cards:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html
Note that there are some that, although they plug into a single
slot, are tall enough to block access to the next slot.
Robert Miles

My XFX GT 240 is a double slot profile, so you might want to double check
before you commit to buy.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/g...s/240GT.aspx#2

/Tazz

Is that double slot in the sense of actually plugging to two slots,
which I cannot handle, or in the sense of plugging into one slot
but being tall enough to block access to a second slot, which I
may be able to handle depending on which side?

I haven't found a local source for GT 240 cards, so it looks like
I may have to order one online to make sure it will fit.

Robert Miles

I only plugs into one slot but the heat-sink and fan blocks the slot
next to (under) it. Also, on my card anyway, you don't need any
additional power connectors. Just plug it into the slot and your good to go.

/Tazz