Old April 29th 18, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default need asus cpu fan replacement

Mike S wrote:

My neighbor's desktop computer ASUS Essentio Model CM6850 needs a cpu
fan, it's making a lot of noise and not spinning up to speed, sounds
like a bad bearing, the fan is model AUB0812VH.

How can I look up the part number for that exact item so I can replace
the fan with a replacement the software will be able to monitor?

I took a chance and bought a same model fan but with a brown instead of
red wire (originals are blue black red yellow) and the machine wouldn't
boot - it didn't detect the fan. Thank God I didn't blow the m/b.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How is the fan attached to the heatsink? Screws, hold-down wire bail,
or what? Likely you can use a replacement fan of the same size. You
can measure across the sides. Might be, for example, a 60mm fan (rather
small) or the same size as a case fan (80mm) and even possible its a
120mm fan. I don't know what heatsink comes stock in that computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47xTpv0aNYM

That video is for an Asus Essentio CM6870 so it's close to your model.
At timemark 1:49, the author tilts the case so the view of the 80mm
backpanel case fan is easy to see. It is bit smaller than the CPU fan
so I'm guessing a 92mm on the CPU's heatsink. Could not see how the fan
is held to the heatsink but probably via screws through the corner holes
in the fan that dig into the fins of the heatsink.

How much if your neighbor willing spend on a new CPU fan? The Noctua
fans are pricey but they last are usually pretty quiet. I suspect the
CPU header on the mobo is 4-pin so make sure the fan's connector matches
(so you don't have to do a frankenjob). You want a fan designed for PWM
(pulse width modulation) to change its rotational speed. I'm assuming
the BIOS or a program (e.g., Speedfan) or software that came with the
computer will change the fan's speed to keep it quiet until the load
increases whereupon more airflow is needed.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8pldu7r

Instead of getting a cheapy $6 fan that won't last a year, the Noctua
92mm 4-pin PWM fan costs about $16 (http://tinyurl.com/y8pldu7r).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAADY4B02739

That one will probably work but you'll have to look at how the fan is
held to the heatsink. It is a low-profile fan so it is likely thinner
than the stock fan which means it will fit. It's up to you if you want
to attach a fan guard to the outside of the fan to make sure cables
don't accidentally get into the blades.

I'm pretty sure airflow through the fan is into the heatsink, not
outward. Positive air pressure results in less dust accumulation. If
there is a side-panel case fan, ensure both blow in the same direction.
If you replace the heatsink with a vertical unit, direction isn't
important as the air goes through the heatsink instead of smacking into
the heatsink's base and shooting out the sides. Just match the airflow
direction of the new fan with the old bad fan assuming the old fan was
put in correctly for airflow through the case.

When you have your neighbor's case open, you are going to expend a
couple cans of compressed air to blow out the dust, right? Do it
outside; else, all the dust goes into the run and back into the computer
and anything else. When blowing out the dust, use an ear swab on the
fan blades to dislodge the stuck-on filth. When blowing out the fans,
use a finger on a blade or the hub, or stick an ear swab through a fan
guard, to keep the fan from spinning when blowing through it.

Is the mobo's CPU header a 4-pin connection? Was the new fan you got
also a 4-pin connector? Did you check that you weren't off by a pin
when attaching the connector to the header? It may difficult to reverse
connector but it's not impossible: they polarizing guard on the one side
can flex. You did get a PWM-capable replacement fan, right?

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/conne...cpu-4-pin-fan/