Old June 19th 07, 08:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Steve Cousins

Default NTFS drive, Windows 2000 and "Write Signature"

Eric Gisin wrote:

Yes, you need the signature before a drive can be used on Win 2K+.
I suspect they zapped it with fdisk/mbr, causing the problems.

Thanks Eric. And putting the signature on the drive will not put the
data that is on the disk at risk?

Steve

"Steve Cousins" wrote in message

A researcher gave me a 320 GB SATA drive from a Windows XP machine
that he wants to have access to. I put it in a Windows 2000 machine
and in "Disk Management" it shows up as "Unknown". The only option
appears to be "Write Signature". Could doing this be a bad thing as
far as being able to access the data on the disk?

I have used "FinalData Enterprise" to see if there is data on the
drive and it finds two NTFS partitions with data. All looks fine. I
can use this to get the data now but it would obviously be better to
have it accessible the normal way. I just don't want to write the
"Signature" and then find that I can't even get the data via Final
Data. I doubt if this would happen but I'm not up on Windows so I'd
like some advice.

As far as I can tell from what searching I've done, the Write
Signature command just deals with the MBR. It is also used to go to
a Dynamic Drive which I don't want to do. Would doing a fdisk /MBR
be better?