Old July 30th 04, 01:14 AM
Stephen Sprunk

"Russell Wallace" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:45:16 -0500, chrisv
wrote:
"Dean Kent" wrote:
Linux isn't Windows, and therefore is a completely different argument.

Are you being sarcastic?

I don't know whether he's being sarcastic...

I'd be amazed if Win32 was not 64-bit clean
from day one. The industry was a lot more mature at that point, and
hopefully learned from the migration of 16- to 32-bit...

...but I hope you are! :P

NT was 64-bit clean, since the Alpha and MIPS ports seemed to make that a
requirement, as does the upcoming PPC port for Xbox2.

The biggest problems are getting all those 32-bit drivers converted to
64-bit, and getting 32-bit apps to work under a 64-bit OS, neither of which
was a problem for the prior ports (since they were 64-bit only).

Some "apps" like .NET were gratuitously dependent on the register size, and
those will need serious reworking, but the OS core was ported to AMD64 over
a year ago.

K5SSS --Isaac Asimov