Old January 16th 21, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob F

Default WDMyStore device not seen as network drive on Win 8.1

On 12/21/2020 4:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
I use my 4TB older WDMyCloud drive as network storage. It works great on
my Win 7, XP, Vista PC's, but I cannot get it to work reliably on the 2
8.1 PC's I have here.

It shows up as a "Storage" device when Windows File Explorer is brought
up and "Network" clicked, and accesses the WDMyCloud's web settings page
if storage is double clicked, but does not show up as a network drive
accessible for data storage. I see all the PC's there, but not the
WDMyCloud. If I enter the WDMyCloud's IP address, 192.168.1.3, into my
browser, it easily opens the web access to the WDMyCloud's settings page.

I managed to create a shortcut on the desktop with the target
\\192.168.1.3 which does open it in the Network area as "192.168.1.3",
which does let me access the directories in it. But, I really want it to
show up when I open the file explorer. If I open another file explorer
window after using the shortcut, it still does not show.

This could relate to my adding a "Homepage" in originally trying to get
the 8.1 PC onto the network. I have since then turned that setting off
on that PC, and gone back to the previous "Workgroup" settings.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for how to get this working right? The
few references I've found online to this problem have not offered
anything that helped.

The problem on 1 of the Win 8.1 PC's spontaneously re-occurs. It was
gone the last couple of days, and is back today. What the heck?