Old December 22nd 20, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob F

Default WDMyStore device not seen as network drive on Win 8.1

On 12/21/2020 7:49 PM, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 12/21/2020 6:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
I use my 4TB older WDMyCloud drive as network storage. It works great
on my Win 7, XP, Vista PC's, but I cannot get it to work reliably on
the 2 8.1 PC's I have here.

It shows up as a "Storage" device when Windows File Explorer is
brought up and "Network" clicked, and accesses the WDMyCloud's web
settings page if storage is double clicked, but does not show up as a
network drive accessible for data storage. I see all the PC's there,
but not the WDMyCloud. If I enter the WDMyCloud's IP address,
192.168.1.3, into my browser, it easily opens the web access to the
WDMyCloud's settings page.

I managed to create a shortcut on the desktop with the target
\\192.168.1.3 which does open it in the Network area as "192.168.1.3",
which does let me access the directories in it. But, I really want it
to show up when I open the file explorer. If I open another file
explorer window after using the shortcut, it still does not show.

This could relate to my adding a "Homepage" in originally trying to
get the 8.1 PC onto the network. I have since then turned that setting
off on that PC, and gone back to the previous "Workgroup" settings.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for how to get this working right?
The few references I've found online to this problem have not offered
anything that helped.

Verify that the Workgroup name is configured exactly the same on both
the 8.1 PC and the WD box.

Try turning off the built in firewall on one of the problem machines, do
a reboot, and then see if the problem goes away.

If this helps, many programs as well as the Windows OS have been known
to change the firewall settings.

It takes time to go through the firewall entries to identify what the
actual problem entry is if disabling the firewall all together "fixes"
things.

Don't leave the firewall turned off after you are done testing.

Yesterday, I read that I should try powering down the WDMyCloud and
router, then power up the router followed a bit later with the
WDMyCloud. I tried doing that, and after that my previously working Win
7 PC no longer worked properly either. The win 8.1 did not change. I
wanted to re-boot the Win 7 PC then, but had a recording going I didn't
want to interrupt, so I went to bed.

This morning, I rebooted the Win 7 PC, but it still did not show the
WDMyCloud properly. An hour later, I looked at it again, and the
WDMyCloud was there just like it worked before the problem. I then
checked both Win 8.1 PCs, and they showed the WDMyCloud drive properly.

So, problem solved for the moment anyway. Rebooting the device and
router followed by a long wait may be the solution.