Old September 14th 03, 08:29 PM
Kalle K.

What?? Double copies on the same floppy?? You've still got a single
point of failure!

NoRemorse wrote:

"Ben Pope" wrote in message

NoRemorse wrote:

sarcasmReally? No way./sarcasm

Well I apologise for insulting your intelligence.

Thank you. Apology accepted.

Yes, I did say that. "Hooking up to the network in labs is tricky.
(I've obtained a connection once out of several tries with the same
DNS and IP settings.)" And let me clarify something. I would have to
specifically go out of my way to a public area (usually that's
another building) to hook up my laptop to the school's network and
then email it to myself and then go back to the computer lab with the
printer and retrieve the email and print it.

Well I'm unclear of the exact situation and the order in which you would

do

things and where you would be at the time. Clearly we have our wires
crossed.

Yeah I agree.

LOL. Oh I have no problems with FTP. You're quoting me out of
context. That sentence read "Five minutes from the deadline, I won't
fiddle with any software that will most likely fail (Murphy's law)."
You missed the "five minutes" part and "Murphy's law" I believe they
change the meaning of that sentence. Things generally fail exactly
when you need them most.

It's hardly like floppies are immune to such failure. I don't believe I

was

quoting you out of context.

True. Floppies are terrible when it comes to reliability. I usually work
around that by making several copies of the same file on the same floppy.

The FTP implementation in Explorer is really bad, BTW. IE has
problems with slow or lagging FTP servers.

I've never had any major problems with it, although I prefer dedicated ftp
programs for anything more complicated than a small file or two.

Yeah it's perfect for simple transfer. I'd never entrust it with anything
big, however.