Old August 25th 18, 01:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

Default AT&T Broadband ?

On 8/25/2018 3:59 AM, philo wrote:
My service went out and AT&T ran a diagnostic and said my router went
out and they would send a new one. While waiting I decided to try my
router at a neighbor's house who also has AT&T broadband and it worked
OK there so I called them back and they will eventually send a tech out
to repair the line.

At the wires coming into my house I only got a reading of 2mv ac

I know back in the days of landline and DSL the voltage should have been
48vdc as best as I recall...however I don't know what a normal voltage
would be for broadband. Anyone here have that knowledge?

Thanks

Fortunately I can tether my machine to my smartphone to post this.

Do you have phone service on that phone line? If not it may be a 'dry
loop', in which case I'd expect you'd see a lot less DC, if any.

"A dry loop is an unconditioned leased pair of telephone line from a
telephone company. The pair does not provide dial tone or battery
(continuous electric potential), as opposed to a wet pair, a line
usually without dial tone but with battery."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_loop