Old August 26th 08, 08:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default Vista - nvidia - clone mode bug

root wrote:

There seems to be practically ziltch tech documentation for edid and
vista. It appears it enforces edid much more than XP ever did, and its
not the nvidia driver doing this. Now, moving on to the next screw job,
I believe I am finding that my video card, dvd drive, and crt monitor
are not acceptable to vista's media player for playing dvds. I get the
'can't play due to drm blah blah blah' error. I found one powerpoint
that says edid is 'required' on vista. Perhaps by cutting off edid I
will not be able to play dvds with media player. My first test with VLC
(which I use all the time on XP) was a bit disappointing since the HDTV
image seemed degraded with small distortions that I do not see on XP. I
have to run more tests. Honestly, they did a poor job with vista, and I
think I entered into this with an open mind 2 weeks ago. At least if
something won't work they should have technical support docs that really
say something, rather than the few extremely dumbed down support pages
they bothered to write.

If that is the case, another possibility is -

Investigate reprogramming the EDID. This article is a good jumping off
point, even if it doesn't have every possible answer.

http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/

Gefen has a box, that can store a copy of an EDID, then play it back
to the computer. The Gefen box, would be used like this.

Video_card ---- Gefen ---- Monitor

The EDID comes from the Gefen, the video signal goes to the monitor.
To program the Gefen, you connect it to some monitor, say a
cheap_monitor that has a programmable EDID chip on it. Then
push the button on the Gefen, to get it to copy the monitor
info, to the EDID chip inside the Gefen. The cheap_monitor is
only necessary on the assumption that not all expensive_monitors
will support writing the EDID, and the cheap_monitor is an
intermediate step to give a degree of programmability. Too
bad the Gefen didn't have a local interface that allowed
tinkering. (Besides pulling out the EEPROM inside, and
replacing it with something.)

http://www.gefen.com/pdf/EXT-DVI-EDIDN.pdf

http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/Inside320.jpg (previous generation picture)

I just found this product, and apparently this device
has an RS-232 interface for programming. So you can
stuff a table of your own making, into this box, and
have it played back when the computer attempts to read the
EDID. It is a little bit pricey, but considering how many
of these they'd sell, I suppose it is worth it. I haven't
found a manual for this.

http://www.avenview.com/edid-reader-writer-p-560.html

At this point, I don't know what I'd write in the EDID, to make
Vista like it more. I mean, as soon as Vista realizes a high resolution
(higher than the movie industry likes) is "escaping from the
computer", then anything could happen.

I love experiments :-)

Good luck,
Paul