Old December 9th 06, 04:20 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

Default Can't see ide drive when added?

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 09/12/2006 in message
***** charles wrote:

Hi all,

I have a D865PERL non raid motherboard. I installed XPH
on it just fine on a SATA drive. Now I want to add an IDE
hard drive. I made it master and booted uip XP but XP
doesn't see it. Is there anything in the cmos that I need to
change so XP can see the new IDE drive? I don't want to
boot to it, just use it as a data drive.

Step 1 is to ensure it can be seen by the BIOS - reboot your PC, go into
the BIOS and ensure the new HD is visible there. If not you need to
re-check connections, jumpers etc. (my favourite trick is forgetting the
power cable).

Then boot onto XP and go:

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk
Management

On the right you will see your hard drives (and CD/DVD). Right click on
the new one and you can partition and then format it (it will take a
while). Think about what sort of partition you want, XP will go for a
primary partition by default, if you want an extended partition and
logical drives you will need to change the defaults.

--
Jeff Gaines, Damerham Hampshire UK

First IDE channel in the cmos turned off. Second channel turned on so
I can see cdroms. How do I turn back on the primary IDE channel?

thanks....