Old August 10th 04, 03:29 PM
ohaya

Were you, by chance, using a 40 wire cable with the two devices in
cable select mode ? I thought the 80 wire cable was part of a cable
select solution. Maybe if you try master on one and slave jumpering
on the other, they will be happy together. Or, find an 80 wire
cable (with 40 pin connectors) and use that.

Just a guess,

Hi Paul,

No, actually I tried two different 80-wire cables, and I'd tried setting
drives to master/slave using the jumpers at one point. Right now,
they're both set for cable select, and both using 80-wire cables, with
the CD/RW on the 2nd onboard IDE, and the DVD on the Siig Ultra ATA 100
card. Seems to be working, but I'm still curious why I couldn't get
both drives into DMA on one IDE channel...

jim