Old July 4th 04, 08:33 PM
Paul

In article , Geoffrey DeWan
wrote:

Paul wrote:
: AGP problems should have been fixed by a BIOS update.

: http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...t/25193802.pdf

: You need to test methodically, with memtest86 on a floppy disk as
: the first test, Prime95 "Torture Test" in Windows as the second
: test, and finally 3DMark2001SE in demo mode, as a test of AGP/video
: card stability. Your hang after login is probably an AGP problem,
: and different drivers can make a difference (Nvidia Detonator
: driver for Ti4600).

Unfortunately, I don't have a floppy on this machine (oversight on my part
when I spec-ed the machine out). Would a bootable CD-ROM work?

:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...0192.168.1.177

: Your disk problems could be related to the software you are
: using. Some of the ripping/burning software, for example,
: messes around with drivers, and that could be the reason you
: devices are misbehaving. Try uninstalling your burning software,
: and see if the symptoms disappear. (That is assuming it will even
: uninstall cleanly!)

: For ripping/burning info, try cdfreaks.com for articles and reviews,
: and also read the postings in the club.cdfreaks.com forums. There is
: plenty of info on how burning software interacts with systems in
: there - while I've only had a chance to play with a DVD writer before
: Christmas, I experienced some of the things post over on cdfreaks,
: so have a look there. In terms of the level of expertise required
: on the part of the user - burning software is not user friendly by
: any stretch of the imagination.

: HTH,
: Paul

Ok thanks. The only software I got was whatever came with the drive
itself. Would have thought the bundled software would have played nice
with the drive at least.

The memtest program comes in two options. One version makes a bootable
floppy, and the other option (I've never tried it) gives you an
ISO bootable CD. You will need to investigate the second option,
on the memtest.org website.

The bundled software with the DVD drive I bought, only understood
drives connected to an IDE interface. I needed Nero, to be able to
put the drive in an external USB/Firewire enclosure. I had the drive
on IDE for a while, for example, while flash upgrading the firmware
in the drive.

The nature of the drive business, is a matter of bundling _some_
software with _some_ drive mechanism. The companies who do it
don't particularly care about the details :-( That is what
experiments by end users are for. I had to buy samples of various
brands of media, before I found some stuff that worked halfways
decent. I wasted a lot of time and money before I could burn
reliably. The only reason I bought the drive as a gift for
someone, was because I thought burning technology was mature.
My testing was barely completed in time for Christmas.

HTH,
Paul