Old July 4th 04, 07:04 PM
Geoffrey DeWan

Paul wrote:
: AGP problems should have been fixed by a BIOS update.

: http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...t/25193802.pdf

: You need to test methodically, with memtest86 on a floppy disk as
: the first test, Prime95 "Torture Test" in Windows as the second
: test, and finally 3DMark2001SE in demo mode, as a test of AGP/video
: card stability. Your hang after login is probably an AGP problem,
: and different drivers can make a difference (Nvidia Detonator
: driver for Ti4600).

Unfortunately, I don't have a floppy on this machine (oversight on my part
when I spec-ed the machine out). Would a bootable CD-ROM work?

: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...0192.168.1.177

: Your disk problems could be related to the software you are
: using. Some of the ripping/burning software, for example,
: messes around with drivers, and that could be the reason you
: devices are misbehaving. Try uninstalling your burning software,
: and see if the symptoms disappear. (That is assuming it will even
: uninstall cleanly!)

: For ripping/burning info, try cdfreaks.com for articles and reviews,
: and also read the postings in the club.cdfreaks.com forums. There is
: plenty of info on how burning software interacts with systems in
: there - while I've only had a chance to play with a DVD writer before
: Christmas, I experienced some of the things post over on cdfreaks,
: so have a look there. In terms of the level of expertise required
: on the part of the user - burning software is not user friendly by
: any stretch of the imagination.

: HTH,
: Paul

Ok thanks. The only software I got was whatever came with the drive
itself. Would have thought the bundled software would have played nice
with the drive at least.