Old June 13th 10, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Xavi

Default AMD Turion 64 and Windows 7

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:48:06 +0100, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

On 13/06/2010 13:34, * Xavi:

I'm the owner of a notebook Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1667EX with a AMD
Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 processor.
After several tries and a BIOS upgrade, I've installed Windows 7 on
that machine, it works pretty well, but I have a problem with the
processor.

What problems?

The system runs slowlier than with WinXP, mainly when multithreading.

According to Windows Upgrade Advisor my processor works at 800 MHz, so
it won't work properly under Windows 7, which requires a minimun 1
GHz.

Your processor runs at 2GHz, however it can clock down to 800MHz to save
energy. If it does depends on the power management settings within Windows.

Take a look at that (http://yfrog.com/escpujj), please. It's the
Windows Upgrade Advisor report, running under Win7 already installed
in the system.

It's in spanish, but the two areas marked in red say "CPU speed: 800
MHz" and "CPU doesn't meet the minimum requirement of 1 GHz,
therefore, it's possible that the computer run slower when running
Windows 7. Contact the manufacturer or distributor of the computer to
see if an update is available for the CPU."

This processor works at 2 GHz but it does so thanks to a driver.

Certainly not. There is no processor "driver". There however are drivers
for power management.

This
driver for Windows XP was furnished with the netbook, but I haven't
been able to find it for Windows 7.
Does anyone knows if this driver exists? If so, where can I find it?

A power management driver does exist, and already comes with Windows 7.
You had to download it for Windowsxp because this 9 year old operating
system knew nothing about the power management capabilities of modern
processors. Windows 7 does, and therefore doesn't need a separate driver.

OK! So... here come some extra questions:

- Is my system working ALWAYS at 800 MHz? Or CPU speed varies
depending on the requirements?

- If it's working always at 800 MHz, how can I set the power
management options to have it working at full capacity?

Thanks for your help... :-)

Saludos.

Xavi