Old May 11th 11, 03:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default Lockup playing AVI file with pivoted display

Russell May wrote:

PC Wizard 2005 program says DirectX 9.0c. It also displays poorly in
pivot mode without the reduced hardware acceleration, but some of it
is readable.

Any new R9000 driver apparently is part of Catalyst Control Panel.

I have an unused Asus Radeon AH3650 Silent HDMI video board. I
installed it in 2008, hoping it would let me play 720p or higher MKV
files. It didn't help at all, and I was hit by a severse virus attack
about a month later -- days after I had bragged to a friend that I had
never been affected by a virus attack. I recovered from that by a
three year old system backup, so I put in the R9000 for the backup and
it has stayed there ever since. My motherboard has an AGP-4X interface
and the AH3650 has an AGP-8X interface but the two seem to function
okay together. The AH3650 uses Catalyst Control Panel and DirectX 10.
I might try it again instead of a new driver for the R9000.

Russ

The 3650 could be "UVD+".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVD

RV635 Radeon HD 3600 Series UVD+

UVD+ support HDCP for higher resolution video streams.
[Of course, whether the card supports HDCP, is another question.
During the "HDCP ready" era, there were issues with that.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_units

HD 3650 RV635 PRO

Some features on the video cards, are controlled by the bus standard.
The video card driver checks the bus standard, and some features
become disabled, if ATI feels performance would be compromised by
the bus.

I found a tool here, that offers a "UVD status" entry. Try playing
a video on the 3650, and see if the UVD entry here changes at all.
The video player application presumably has to have the software
to access and use the feature.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...ol_v0.9.8.html

That program is supposed to have been written by AMD, but I can't
find it on the AMD site. (My current computer doesn't have an AMD
card in it, so I can't test the program to see what it says. It
would laugh at my Nvidia branded card.)

Paul