Old August 25th 05, 11:27 PM
Robert Gault

Digideus wrote:

Hi all,

I have an older PC with a P3 500 processor running in a Biostar M6VBE
motherboard, which I believe runs up to AGPx2. Its running Windows 98
SE, has all the latest updates from Windows Update. I am running what
I believe to be the latest Bios patch as well.

I originally ran an ATI Rage128 GFX card and was very happy with it.
Unfortunately I had to remove the card and replaced it with a cheap
Nvidia GEForce2 MX440 SE.

This seemed to work fine until I tried to run Star Trek: Armada II.
Ever since this I cannot enable Direct3d. Even though DXDIAG says its
enabled, I get errors when I try to test it, namely....

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device):
HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device):
HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device):
HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)

I tried removing everything, replacded the card for a FX5200 and
reinstalled the latest Forceware drivers from the Nvidia site and
DirectX 9.0c. but I still get the same errors.

I remove the forceware driver, reinstall the ATI card and driver and
Direct3d works again!!!!

I reversed the process and it doesnt work.

I KNOW the FX5200 supports Direct3d, and DXDIAG says its enabled, so
why cant I run the direct3d tests without the errors?

Anyone?

Probably there are residual ATI entries in the Registry. You will need
to scrub the system of all ATI files before installing the nVidia drivers.

If you do a Google search, you probably will find details for completely
removing ATI traces.