Old January 3rd 04, 06:34 PM
Eric Gisin

"kony" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:55:13 -0800, "Eric Gisin"
wrote:

I don't think the read mode of any CD/DVD drive is going kill the drive

in
under 5 years.

Then you haven't bothered to check the dead parts bins at many
computer shops. Optical drives die all the time, or just read so
poorly that they're not reliable... same thing.

That doesn't mean they died because of excessive usage. The optics get dirty
in dirty environments, not because of usage.

power
sags, which can cause bad sectors on your hard drives.

Nonsense. If that happens the problem wasn't an optical drive, it was
an inadquate power supply. I'm not so sure HDDs will even suffer bad
sectors these days, generally it takes a HUGE voltage sage to be
significant, not an amp or two.

Poor power and cabling is the leading cause of bad sectors. It is a major
problem.

This has been acknowledged in every storage forum.