Old May 13th 05, 12:50 PM
Tim Anderson

Thanks again Rick; yes, I'm familiar with that document and I've read it
before.

My question was, to quote from my original message:

"I can't at the moment find a clear explanation of this. I understand about
the shadowing, but the question of course is why a modern board can't use
a higher range of addresses to make the full 4GB available to the OS. The
manufacturers mutter about "PC Architecture", but then again they also
make boards that *do* overcome this limit.

With PAE, PC processors have been able to address more than 4GB for years.
So why are we still running into this limit?"

Tim