Old May 13th 05, 11:03 AM
Tim Anderson

"Rick" wrote in message
t...

Because *applications* have to be written to be PAE-aware,
and have to be written in 64-bit address space to make use of
anything over 4GB. This was (and still is) very much a niche
market -- very few desktop/workstation users will come close
to using 2GB, let alone 4, which is why MS originally split the
4GB address range between 2GB user space and 2GB
system space.

Rick,

Thanks for the response. I understand about that; what I'm talking about is
the hardware issue. When you boot with 4GB installed on one of these
motherboards, typically 1GB is not made available to the OS at all; it is
"consumed" before the OS boots (because of address shadowing). Even with an
AMD64 (EM64T) CPU installed.

Tim