Old August 27th 04, 12:07 AM
S.Heenan

Azaran2003 wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. quick question on the ram.
Couple of you suggested doing 2x512 instead of a single stick of
1gig. Aside from running dual channel, is there a good reason for it?

With the Nforce2 chipset, RAM in dual channel config provides only a tiny
performance increase. You will probably end up purchasing 2x512MB modules
since 1GB modules are about $70US more, according to the Crucial site.

The Intel 865xx and 875 series do benefit from using RAM in dual channel
configuration.

Are the timing any worse, and if so by how much? And will a latency
difference of 2.0 - 3.0 really make a noticiable difference? I'm not
talking benchmarks but real world difference (one of the hard things
to find out in a review). Thanks again everyone ~A

CAS latency at CL2.5 vs CL3 makes no real world difference.

You said, "She's an artist so while some 3D will probably happen (Bryce), it
will be kinda
sparse from what I understand. Her graphic emphasis will be web design, 2D
imaging (Photoshop, illustrator) and Flash. Plus most of her stuff is hand
drawn, not digital."

If colour accuracy is important, she should stay well away from LCD
monitors.

If she plans to LAN, this is a nice little case, with a 350W PSU:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15000