Old January 13th 05, 04:26 AM
Đavīd

Paul wrote...
I haven't a clue why they did that. It doesn't make much sense,
because as a rule, the only load on the main ATX power connector
is the fan headers, for the single +12V signal. The 2x2 connector
supplies the heavy processor Vcore current via two of the four
pins (the other two pins are ground returns).

Adding a second +12V pin via the 24 pin version of the connector
just doesn't add up. Neither do the other extra pins (3,5,gnd
listed
in the manual) appear to be necessary, as the existing +3.3V
and +5V pins were already enough for the job. This is, after all,
a P4P800 board, with a LGA775 processor socket, so power
requirements
should be very similar to the P4P800. Hope I'm not missing
something
obvious there...

Maybe the marketing department wanted all the P5xxxx boards to
be the same :-)

Thanks Paul for your wealth of information. I have a brand new Antec
480 watt True Power I was hoping to use with my new build. It has the
ATX12V connector. Are you saying the 24 pin connector used for PCI
Express is different from the ATX12V connector? If it is different,
what should I do? Get an adapter or another power supply with the
correct PCI Express connector?

Davīd
Greenville, NC