Old January 12th 05, 12:34 PM
Michael W. Ryder

Paul wrote:
In article , "Đavīd"
wrote:

OK, after looking and looking and more looking, I am narrowing down
my choices of Pentium motherboards to the Asus P5GD2 Deluxe. I don't
need all the bells and whistles of the premium edition.

The top performer and clearly undisputed winner in the Anand Tech
Roundup and pleased to award the AnandTech Gold Editors Choice to the
Asus P5GD2 Premium...

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2293&p=33

What is so bad about the 915 chipset that people were/are avoiding
it?

Would another Asus Pentium motherboard be a better choice?

Davīd

Greenville, NC

Nothing. If you've got the cash for it, enjoy.
As long as a board has been out for at least
three months, and has gotten its share of BIOS
work, it should be safe to use. (Intro July 2004,
last BIOS 10/01/2004)

Write us a short review when you get it set up, as there
isn't a lot in Google on it, pro or con.

I think both the Premium and the Deluxe have Voice POST,
so if you have any trouble getting it set up, you'll have
voice messages on the Lineout connector to guide you.

Don't forget to test with memtest86 (memtest.org) and
Prime95 (mersenne.org), before the return period for
your purchases is up. Many people use OS stability as their
only metric for a healthy system, and testing with
specific utilities will find problems a lot faster.
3DMark or a 3D game, will find a flaky video card, after
you are done with memtest86 and prime95.

And have a close look at the temps on your LGA775 processor.
If the P4 LGA775 gets hot enough, it goes into thermal
throttle, and your benchmarks will drop as a result.
I think the throttle cuts in at around 70C or so.

You can get more info on the processors he

http://processorfinder.intel.com (select P4 Pentium)
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm

Some processors are available at two power levels. The E0
stepping here is only 84W, compared to the other D0 stepping
processor which is 115W. So ask what SSPEC processor your
vendor currently stocks, as a newer stepping processor will
be easier to cool.

3.4Ghz 84W
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...sp?sSpec=SL7PZ

3.4Ghz 115W
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...sp?sSpec=SL7KM

Also, look carefully at the PSU, to make sure it has the
right connectors for the board. The new boards have a 24 pin
connector for main power, and the main benefit of the 24 pin,
is that it has an extra +12V pin, which helps feed the new
PCI Express video card slot. The 20 pin will work (and it
only fits one way), so you can use it if you want, but it
means the PCI Express video card slot is fed through only
one wire, instead of two with the new connector.

Is the extra 12V connection on the 24 pin connector only used for PCI
Express? The reason I ask is that I have a P5P800 which has the 24 pin
ATX connector but does not have an PCI Express slots. I got a power
supply with the right connector but wonder if I needed to.

Have fun,
Paul