Old February 11th 04, 12:48 AM
~misfit~

Frank Hagan wrote:
"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,

I just bought myself a new Digital Thermometer today, and the first
thing I could think of testing was the *South-Bridge* of the NF7-S
system I just sold.

Since the machine didn't have any hard-disks I just let it load up
memtest x86 and loop for a while.

15 minutes later. . . .the reading from LCD display was. . . .68°C
lol!

I know we discussed this before (a few months ago), but isn't that
too hot? I did try to find some pre-made heatsinks in the *U.K* but
no luck. Why didn't anyone start selling heatsinks for the nForce2
boards?

The South-Bridge is situated very close to the AGP slot so I have no
idea how people are using Zalman heatsinks, surely they get in the
way of the AGP card, especially if it has a meaty heatsinks itself?
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

I have a different nF2 mobo, but I noticed the Southbridge very warm
(uncomfortably hot) to the touch also. I just stuck on a passive
heatsink of appropriate size (no more than a few mm larger) with some
frag tape and now just warm ;-) If the Mk.I fingertip tells you it's
hot, cool it! Everyone is always trying to improve the cooling of the
Northbridge, video chipset, etc... The Southbridge need a little help
too ;-)

I'm running two Soltek SL-75FRN2-L nForce2 Ultra400 boards and hadn't even
thought about SB temps until I read this. I held my finger on them and it
was uncomfortably hot. I had a couple of cheap "Coolermaster" NB 'sinks with
frag tape on them in my drawer, I'd just bought them for the 40mm fans to
fit to the passively cooled NB 'sink on these boards. I checked them out and
I could fit them, with a little overlap (not touching anything live). So
that's what I've done, I don't know if it'll make any difference to the
longevity of my boards but they weren't doing any good in the drawer.

BTW, they didn't make very good contact. The SB seems to be *very* concave.
However the 'sinks get warm so I'm hoping they're helping and not just
trapping a pocket of hot air 'tween the sink and the chip. One of them has
the advantage of being right in the airflow from the AGP card (different
cards in the machines) so doesn't get as warm as the other.
--
~misfit~