Old February 21st 06, 10:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default !! Starwars: Empire at war !!

"Paul C" Paul Coulbourn wrote in message

The game is so 1990. If the Space battles were in real 3d i migh
concider buying it. But as it is Space battles are just pathetio.

Better luck next time.

Think Homeworld for the 3d.

Homeworld 1 was interesting but I never played it that much.

Homeworld 2 was fun and I finished it in 18 hours. But it's a bad example of
a 3D strategy game. Almost all missions were 2D. There were like 2 missions
where one had to specify the third dimension.

Things got a bit different in skirmish or multiplayer. Unfortuneatly I
wasn't able to play the multiplayer part except for the demo which was only
playable for a few days before they pulled the plug on it.

So my taste of commanding 3D strategic space battles is quite short. The
only strategy I learned and deployed was hiding in 3D space to prevent my
destruction. The only other 3D tactic I saw was the formation of the attack.
Big whoopie, not lol

Overall homeworld 2 left a very bad impression for 3D space battle.
Commanding in 3D space is a nightmare. A difficult interface, lack of
overview, lack of control. They probably had to slow down the game to make
it playable in the first place... because commanding in 3D takes a hell lot
of time having to rotate around things to get an idea of it all... that's
badddd I bet if you start commanding in 3D you will get your ass kicked
by a player which simply uses 2D tactics but can command it a lot faster
than you hehe. You'll be like wtf.... now I have to retrieve all my ****
back from 3d positions to this one central location... Good like finding
your units and setting way points hehe... Blitkrieg baby ! wake up and smell
the coffee

I am skeptical how much 3D adds to the stragetic aspect. Maybe one can
simply specify the tactics in 2D and have the fighter pilots and ship
captains figure it out by themselfes.

That's more or less how tie fighter worked. It showed the mission in 2D. But
it was also possible to get a 3D sense of it thanks to height lines.

There you have it folks, some of my experience with space battles.

I am curious what your experience with space battles is...

Can you give any examples of 3D tactics/strategies ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:29:22 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Hello,

I'll be short

This game gets two exclamation marks because it's a bit repetitive and

the
graphics/ground battle mostly are a bit less but still tactically
interesting.

The best thing about the game are the voices... many, many voices who

tell a
story.

The best thing about the game is also the story stuff... it's
interesting/intrigueing.

The space battles are also pretty cool.

When I first played this game it was like... mhoaw... i'll probably stop
playing in a short while...

But as I continued playing the game I discovered there is much more to

this
game than meets the eye !

One really has to use strategy/tactics to win space battles and later

also
ground battles... which is quite interesting. Very very cool actually.

People who played Tie-Figther will have a big edge in this game.

Here are some examples which will definetly help you in this new game:

1. While defending space stations, look carefully which units are

attacking
the space station and attack them. This will drive them away from the

space
station. That's important. As long as the space station survives, the

hanger
will produce new units for you...

2. Clear the path for y-wings to take bombing runs.

3. Use x-wings to attack tie-bombers.

4. Use corvettes to shoot down tie-fighters and tie-bombers.

5. There is also a new unit some kind of missile launcher...

6. The gunboats are also good at shooting down the little crafts or other
gunboats.

Some units are missing though from tie-fighter:

Where is the assault gun boat ? I guess it's replaced with this
gunboat... though it looks a bit different.

7. Target the shield generators... then kill off the hangers and then the
torpedos launchers... all with torpedos from y-wings=rebel bombers

8. When the going gets though, the though get going.... simply call in
reinforcements... (I figured this out a bit late... I forgot about

this... I
learned it in the demo.. but forgot).

You can have bigger space fleets... but only 25 units can be present on

the
map (for rebels) and it seems 20 for empire... but after stuff gets
destroyed you can call in reinforcements.

9. Corvettes as I call them.... can be used to draw fire away from other
ships by moving them in front of the destroyers and setting engines to

full
and moving really fast past them.

10. The missile cruisers as I call them are the most dangerous units so
far... then can shoot down whole squadrans of y-wings, x-wings,

tie-fighters
and tie-bombers... you ll loose them in the blink of an eye/explosion. So
you will first need to clear the path for them to proceed by shooting

down
these missile cruisers with gunboats =D and other stufffff.

You can also play with darth vader and here him breeeath hehehe and there

is
so much more to this game.

However I played the game with an overclocked system/pc and it gave
exceptions... euh I think it ****ed up my save game because I cant steal

the
last tech level for the rebels.. or maybe it's a bug or maybe that tech

can
only be stolen later... I am not sure.... I also got tired of defending

and
doing the same battleground stuff... so I simply let the empire take some
planets... that was a bad decision because the empire builds up fast (at
least at medium difficulty which is what I play) The empire will become
filthy rich and much harder to kill... so it would have been easier to
defend in the first place instead of re-concuering later...

Anyway I was kinda newbish at first... but now I am a much better player

so
it will probably be easier to restart anyway and build a huge fleet and
simply use auto resolve to proceed/progress through the dull missions

Yeah baby... that's what I did when I played with the empire and it

worked
pretty well

I still haven't played multiplayer yet... The game also has many extra
little story campaings etc.

I can tell this game has a lot of content which is quite unussual... most
games I have played I simply finish in one or two days non-stop...

But this game is going to take many days maybe even weeks maybe even

months
to complete... yeah especially on my slow ass pc hehe. Soon I'll have

new pc though believe it !

Sometimes on my PIII 450 mhz it sometimes freezes a bit during space

battles
probably because of some explosions...

They do look beautifull though... when the big ships break up... and go
bang, booom etc... it can take a very long time before a victory star
destroyers has completely broken up into pieces and blown up... though
that's not the problem I think... it's probably all the ai for the

missiles
and little explosions that make it a bit freeze or maybe sometime else

was
going on... Well most of the time it plays smooth... but a bit slow
probably... I wonder how fast everything goes on a faster pc.

For all starwars fans, x-wing fans, tie-fighter fans, etc... this game is
definetly pretty good and you simply have to see, play it to believe it,

too
experience it.

It's definetly worth a download and maybe even buying it lol.

It's especially fun if you played x-wing or tie-fighter !

It's simply amazing and interesting to play it as a commander from the
outside and command and have them do all the things that you had to do in
x-wing and tie-fighter !

You will definetly be a much better commander if you played tie-fighter

as
well =D

That's just ****ing cool ! =D

Newbies will simply have to figure it out some other way and get wacked

by
the ai and online I guess

Learn from the great lol.

Arrrghhhhh, may the force and the power be with you !!!! =D

"SighhhArrghhhhh, I find your lack of faith disturbing !" =D

For all doubters: give this game a ****ing try ! =D Yeaaaahhaaaaaaaaaaaa.

It's just worth it.... LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN EXPLOSION
WIEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I know what you think... an explosion ? that's hardly worth it.

NO MAN !

Total and other destruction of VICTORY STAR DESTROYER SPACE SHIPS..

BREAK UP, TURN, BOOM, BAM, CRUSH, BREAK UP, BOOM, TURN, DIE, FLOAT, ****
YEAH, PIECES, DESTRUCTION MAN, you simply have to witness wieeeeee.

I love seeing those suckers die and break up and blast to pieces... it's

the
sweet taste of victory YEAH BABY !

Bye,
Skybuck.