Old November 4th 15, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default Obsolete computer...trivia

On 11/03/2015 07:26 PM, Paul wrote:

I bet it has a smokin transfer rate.
Probably good for 4-5MB/sec.

I did not bench mark the drive but it ran msdos 6.22 just fine.

I save small hard drives for older machines that I put Linux on.

Now another question:

The drive had a bad sector that was mapped out by scandisk.

If I would re-use the drive for dos or Windows, I assume the OS would
not try to use that sector...but does scan disk map it out just for
ms-based operating systems...or is it mapped out at a lower level?

My question is if I used the drive for Linux would that bad sector cause
a problem?

My guess is that scan disk only maps it out for MS operating systems.

What I did was use both test disk and d-revitalize to attempt to make
that bad sector invisible to any OS.

I again ran scandisk and it shows no bad sectors.

Can I assume it's been mapped-out at a lower lever than the OS?

As for the manufacturer of obsolete hardware,
it gets hard to do that after a while, since they
tear down the fab and the ability to make it
disappears.

I had a project at work, stopped before the end of
the sales cycle, when the fab making the custom ICs
was torn down. We would have needed to buy and
stockpile a huge pile of ICs, which is "risky"
from a business point of view. They usually give
you a year of advanced warning, that the fab is
becoming a hole in the ground.

One place the old processors are preferred, is for
space applications. Where the large geometry chips
are more resistant to radiation upset. But I doubt anyone
was doing that with 386. They've used some weird stuff
for space. For example, the stuff on this page
for sale today, is running at 25MHz. "Open the
Pod Bay doors HAL..."

http://synova.com/proc/processors.html

Paul