Old October 15th 04, 06:58 PM
Suzanne

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:26:16 GMT, The DragunLadee wrote:

Suzanne wrote:
Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money than others when it looks like the same item? I did a
little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY brand doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you and possibly find some comparisons and best values.
Thank you,

Susanna

First of all, you must be a REALLY good g/f in order to spend that much
for your b/f for his b-day. Now, one of the differences is the amount
of vram that's onboard the card. The 6800GT comes in two main
flavors...one that has 128mb of vram onboard, and one that comes with
256mb of vram onboard. He really doesn't need the 256mb version, as
none of today's games really take advantage of that much vram as of yet.
Yes, don't get the BFG as it does indeed have a bad heatsink and fan,
junk really. All of them support Directx9 (you can upgrade a card that
doesn't come with 9c quite easily). Personally if it were me, I'd go
with the asus card that newegg has. It's the best deal for the money
IMO, but if he insists on having one of the more expensive cards, PNY is
a good brand as well as EVGA. I also wouldn't go with a chaintech or
gainward either, as the performance on those cards tends to be less than
that of some of the others that are supposed to be the "same quality".

Hi, and thank you for your comments and information. How does one upgrade a directx 9 card to a directx 9c card? He's not
very computer savvy either, and I know he will be excited and just want to put it in and play. Is it very difficult? I think
PNY is a good brand, but I won't buy it if there is alot of trouble to upgrade it.

What about the XFX brand? I see it comes in a cute looking box shaped in an "X" It is also better priced than some of the
other brands. I see newegg lists 2 models, the AUA and the AUD, what is the difference? I can't see anything different in the
specification listings. I don't know what much means that is listed there, but just comparing them side by side it looks the
same?

Lastly, what does DVI mean? I've asked my bf this and he doesn't know either, but all these video cards seem to have it.

Again, thank you very much for your time!

P.S. Are there any web sites that might have a graph or chart in ranking these brands by how good they are or how fast they
are? I can understand that alot easier than words I dont know