Old December 27th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Navas

Default Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 13:26:12 -0800, Pat Cheney wrote
in :

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 22:04:30 +0100, Marco Tedaldi wrote:
I hope you can solve at least these issues now... A card should really
be readable in a card reader all the time. If it is not readable
something is definitely broken.

I followed the suggestion to format the flash card while it's connected to
the Windows PC (there is no Linux on my system) via the camera.

It formatted fine while connected to the PC via the camera.
I even formatted it twice, just to make sure (the slow format).

Then, I plugged the card into the card reader.
Guess what? It still wouldn't mount on WinXP and the format failed.

The less-than-helpful error message in the Windows (slow) format was:
Formatting Removable Disk (E Windows was unable to complete the format.

Yet, back in the camera, it works fine.

I'll dig a bit more on this perplexing problem which requires a cable to
the camera in order to use the flash card on the PC!

Sounds like a serious problem with your computer.
You may want to try a different computer and card reader/writer.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John