Old April 3rd 06, 04:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Proliant 2500 CPU Upgrade?

Is there a way...??

I have a Proliant 2500 Tower Case Model with the CPU/Memory module for two
Slot 1 Pentium II 333MHz CPUs. It also has 1.5GB of memory and a five drive
RAID and a two drive mirror. It all works fine under Win2K Server. (I
Think I would like to make a Linux Server out of it, for self training
purposes... and maybe something useful too.)

I also have two of the original Celeron 466MHz PPGA processors that are SMP
capable; and two MSI 6905 Master Slocket adapters that are SMP capable.
(The Celerons have a 66MHz FSB like the P II 333s).

I removed the P IIs and put one Celeron/Slocket into the Proliant to see if
it would boot. I got video and IBIT with the memory test running all the
way to completion (much faster too). Then IBIT got to the CPU and decided
that it was a "not supported CPU type" and halted. This in spite of the
fact that it was obviously running. I think it is likely that I could
install and run these CPUs with no problem, if only the BIOS IBIT would let
me past the CPU check.

Is there a BIOS patch for Celerons? Or, one for ignoring the CPU check? Is
the BIOS in flash memory, and if so what tools would I need to have to read
out a copy of it for modification and reinsertion (assuming I had to hack it
myself)?

John Dean
in Seattle