Old December 28th 05, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Linux user: please support hardware vendors whith good Linux suppor.

"AnonymousFC4" wrote in message
I think the Linux support on Nvidia, is at best poor: hard to install,
often
instable.

Indeed, but that actually represents the best effort out of all the major
video chipset manufacturers.

Also the Nvidia Linux drivers distribution model is unacceptable: I still
consider that when I purchase a computer peripheral for Linux, then I
should be able to use clean open source drivers for it.

Most PC users do not share your opinion. It's also true that driver
development can cost more than hardware development, especially for
professional 3D CAD and DCC work. There are huge monetary investment and
trade secrets involved, so don't expect nVidia or ATi to release open-source
drivers.

I have purchased several NVIDIA cards, but unless NVIDIA wakes up and
provides a good alternative to the current situation... which has lasted a
long time, I will try ATI (or other video cards/chip vendor) in the
future,
hoping that the situation is better there. (Not sure).

ATi allocates driver development time commensurate with market share. This,
straight from the horse's mouth in an interview. Thus, there's one person
(out of some 50) dedicating half his time to Linux driver development... I
think Mac OS drivers receive higher priority.

It is interesting to note that often new vendors establish a solid
presence
in the Linux (and other open source)by providing what is missing.
I am wondering how many Laser printers did sell on the Linux market...
because others printers vendors had poor linux support.
My guess is "a lot ".

This has been said before, it's a chicken and egg thing. However, consider
this: both ATi and nVidia have pretty much abandoned the entire installed
base of AGP systems, as a conscious business decision. They certainly care
less about the Linux users.