Old December 28th 05, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Linux user: please support hardware vendors whith good Linux suppor.

Conor wrote:

In article , AnonymousFC4 says...
This is a repost: Original post on alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: SUSE 10.0 NVIDIA: how to enable 3D -- temporary conclusions --
==
I think the Linux support on Nvidia, is at best poor: hard to install,
often instable.

Is it ********? It's one of THE EASIEST to install.

Download .run file. sh .run file, folllow the bouncing ball. Edit X
config file and change a couple of well documented entries.

Also the Nvidia Linux drivers distribution model is unacceptable: I still
consider that when I purchase a computer peripheral for Linux, then I
should be able to use clean open source drivers for it.

Blame your open source friends for not writing one. If there's no open
source driver for a peripheral then there is only one group to blame -
the OSS community.

It's not that simple when the device has a complex proprietary interface.
If Nvidia and ATI would get it into their heads that the make _chips_ and
not _software_ and provided full documentation on their chips it would be a
different story, but reverse-engineering the damned things when all you
have to work with is the chip itself and a Windows driver in binary is a
collossal task.

I have purchased several NVIDIA cards, but unless NVIDIA wakes up and
provides a good alternative to the current situation... which has lasted
a long time, I will try ATI (or other video cards/chip vendor) in the
future, hoping that the situation is better there. (Not sure).

ROFLMAO...than you'll have something to complain about.

It is interesting to note that often new vendors establish a solid
presence in the Linux (and other open source)by providing what is
missing. I am wondering how many Laser printers did sell on the Linux
market... because others printers vendors had poor linux support.
My guess is "a lot ".

Blame your OSS buddies.

If you think it's easy, why don't _you_ do it?

note: freely providing the technical product specification, API
(application programming interface) specification is what the open source
guys need to write device drivers.

Why should a company that has spent $millions developing a product give
their information away for free?

So that they can make $millions actually selling products?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate