Old December 28th 05, 07:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Linux user: please support hardware vendors whith good Linux suppor.

In article , AnonymousFC4 says...
This is a repost: Original post on alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: SUSE 10.0 NVIDIA: how to enable 3D -- temporary conclusions --
==
I think the Linux support on Nvidia, is at best poor: hard to install, often
instable.

Is it ********? It's one of THE EASIEST to install.

Download .run file. sh .run file, folllow the bouncing ball. Edit X
config file and change a couple of well documented entries.

Also the Nvidia Linux drivers distribution model is unacceptable: I still
consider that when I purchase a computer peripheral for Linux, then I
should be able to use clean open source drivers for it.

Blame your open source friends for not writing one. If there's no open
source driver for a peripheral then there is only one group to blame -
the OSS community.

I have purchased several NVIDIA cards, but unless NVIDIA wakes up and
provides a good alternative to the current situation... which has lasted a
long time, I will try ATI (or other video cards/chip vendor) in the future,
hoping that the situation is better there. (Not sure).

ROFLMAO...than you'll have something to complain about.

It is interesting to note that often new vendors establish a solid presence
in the Linux (and other open source)by providing what is missing.
I am wondering how many Laser printers did sell on the Linux market...
because others printers vendors had poor linux support.
My guess is "a lot ".

Blame your OSS buddies.

note: freely providing the technical product specification, API (application
programming interface) specification is what the open source guys need to
write device drivers.

Why should a company that has spent $millions developing a product give
their information away for free?

--
Conor

I'm so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn't funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn't know
what terror was.