Old August 23rd 04, 03:28 AM
Jelle

"Larry L." schreef in bericht

I just made that upgrade. Well almost. I'm running a P4 2.53 and
Ti4400. I couldn't play Doom 3 at 800 x 600 at Medium settings. To
get playable framerates I had to turn off too much stuff... especially
shadows... and that more or less kills the enjoyment of the game. So,
I upgraded to a 6800 GT.

Befo 800 x 600 at Medium settings, demo1 was averaging 28 FPS
After: 1024 x 768 at High settings, now averaging 57 FPS.

So the game went from unplayable at Medium settings and low resolution
to very playable at High settings and decent resolution.

As an aside, this upgrade did absolutely nothing for UT2004... my
framerates stayed the same at 1024 x 768, the only difference is that
now I can play at 1600 x 1200 while maintaining the same framerates.
The Unreal engine is truly CPU bound.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you happen to know how much performance difference there is between

your
P4 2.53 (which I assume is 533fsb) and my P4 2.5 (which is only 400fsb

with
1 Gig PC800 Rambus memory)? Would this make an appreciable difference

with
Doom3?

Thanks again,

Larry

If you allow me to say so, I think the difference between 400fsb and 533 is
noticable, but not to a very disturbing amount. Given that your 2.5/400 is
indeed a bit a setback why not go for a regular 6800, would match good these
2, and save you quite some $$.