Old July 23rd 04, 02:18 AM
Dr. Richard Cranium

3dfx!! right on!! Nvidia sucks for that dragging 3dfx through the muck and
mire with false advertising/law suits that were intended to just deplete
3dfx's bank accounts so Nvidia could purchase the 3dfx carcass. gawd. that
really ****es me off. !!!!!

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm

memory flogger:
http://www.smokeypoint.com/flash.htm

a fortiori

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...r1pictures.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...1midaspics.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/medipak.htm

**savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm

** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

** GTA III vice City Character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

.... so much of me...

"Andrew MacPherson" wrote in message
ddress_disguised...
In article fYWLc.163581$XM6.52882@attbi_s53, (JB) wrote:

The x800pro CANNOT be turned into a x800xt by
the so-called '16 pipe fix', or BIOS flas

I think the successes come from x800Pro *VIVO* cards. Mine (a European
brand, Club) has certainly flashed to 16 pipes and benchmarks improved
nicely even though it doesn't quite handle XT core speeds (memory goes all
the way to 600 though without obvious issues... other than heat,
obviously). This probably explains why it has an XT sticker covered over
by a Pro sticker on the heatsink.

I wouldn't want anyone to rely on this though, even if early indications
show a lot of success with VIVO cards. The 9800se VIVO I bought a while
back was supposed to softmod to a 9800Pro and it most certainly didn't.
Its extra pipelines were disabled for a reason... they were totally
f*cked :-)

Anyway, to the original poster... I switched to ATI last year when I
bought a 2nd hand 9700Pro. Now I don't particularly care about getting
every last FPS out of D3, and it's quite possible Nvidia have won the
hardware crown back in this generation. But I was very impressed with the
9700Pro... and all it lacked was some speed when engaging x4FSAA. I bought
the x800 for that reason (ok, and the fact that D3's coming :-) and I'd
have no problem recommending it.

If I wasn't already on board the ATI bus I might well have been swayed by
the Nvidia benchmarks, but I also haven't forgiven them for buying 3dfx
and not using their vastly superior FSAA methods (slow or not). The V5
still has a soft spot in my heart... just next to the empty place in my
wallet ;-)

Andrew McP

at
http://www.TitanNews.com