Old July 23rd 04, 12:05 AM
Bean

"JB" wrote in message
news:fYWLc.163581$XM6.52882@attbi_s53...

Performance:
We've all seen the Doom3 benchmarks. Big whoop...this is not the only

game
I'll be playing. On the other hand, a great engine will get a lot of

reuse.
Is it realistic to believe that ATI will a) be able to, and b) choose to

fix
the OpenGL performance of the X800Pro.

The obvious answer is "no". If they could, they would have long ago.
It's not like ATI is just now finding out they do OGL poorly.

Noise:
Anybody with real world experience with both? I understand the 6800GT

is
loud. I spend my days in climate-controlled server rooms, so a little
machine whirr ain't no big thing. On the other hand, the rig will be

left
on pretty much all the time in a very open-architecture house. Will I

hear
it in the next room?

Hacks:
Not that I'll be jacking around with my $400 toy any time soon, but it's
widely reported that BIOS flashes are a poor man's upgrade. As I

understand
it, the chipsets that don't pass muster to be part of an XT / Ultra PCB

are
then tested to lower (ie: Pro / GT) standards. So the probability of
flashing actually improving anything depends on how 'broken' the

individual
GPU is?

Don't believe everything you hear. The x800pro CANNOT be
turned into a x800xt by the so-called '16 pipe fix', or BIOS flash. I
tried it
on my x800pro, so I know what I'm talking about. Aside from adjusting
the clocks with ATI tool, however it runs
OOTB is the best it will ever run. Of course you must use ATI tool to
adjust the clocks so the card will run at full speed, they are
terribly underclocked OOTB.

Jeff B

Actually is is known that ATI is in the progress of redoing the Opengl
Dirvers. Betatesters have said this and also people on the Catalyst team.
Ask around the rage3d forums for more info. Yes the x800 pro can be hacked
and then have its bios flashed to be a x800xt, but it wont work on every
card. You where just unclucky. When you hack it your enabling the extra 4
pipelines. Most likley one or more of those extra 4 pipelines was defective,
and that is why it didnt work for you. The lucky ones with the working 4
pipelines got there hack to work fine. Its more of a 50/50 chance that the
hack will work.

Bean