Old March 16th 05, 05:07 PM
Noozer

"kony" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:15:30 GMT, "Noozer"
wrote:

Just wondering... When trying to slow a fan in a PC, which is better -

using
5v and 12v to get 7v to the fan, or adding a resistor inline?

The resistor, assuming a reliable connection is made
(soldered or good crimp, not just twisted bare wires) and
electrically isolated (like heatshrink or similar, as
electrical tape can degrade and unravel especially in hotter
environments).

Thanks. I felt that the resistor was better, but I wasn't sure if there was
anything about it that I had overlooked.

I've got a Media PC that's very quiet except for one case fan.

Only issue there is being aware of the resultant temp
changes that come from flow reduction.

Machine runs cool. I'd just disconnect the fan completely, but I think that
would be a bit drastic as the chassis isn't the best design.