Old May 27th 18, 08:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Moe Trin[_2_]

Default Commodore MPS 1230 Dot Matrix Printer under GNU/Linux

On Sat, 26 May 2018, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.periphs.printers,
in article , Eli the Bearded wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

I used to have a Commodore 64 with an MPS 1230 printer. 25
years later the printer is still working,

Twenty-five years later? Are your sure you don't mean thirty-five?

Agree - but you have to remember that (comparatively speaking)
most dot-matrix printers were built like battle tanks. My
25 year-old HP LJ-5 still works, though it generates a lot of
heat when running, and I am down to one computer that still
has an IEEE-488 parallel port. We also buried the Epsom
LQ-1000 and FX-850 about two years ago for that same reason
(plus they were S L O W and very noisy). They were still
working at age 30.

As for the supplies, 11*24 cm fan fold

Unusual size - I'm used to 8.5 x 11 inch = 21.6 x 28 cm (~9
inch/23 cm if you count the tear-off perforations)

I must confess, I have not seen fan-fold paper in a long time.

Stick the keywords "fanfold paper" into your favorite search
engine, and you'll find it easy enough. Spamazon is selling
9x11 in thousand sheet boxes for under US$20. I haven't looked
for it recently, but Staples and Office-Depot have it on their
web-sites. I still have about a box and a half of 8x11 as
well as a quarter box of 13x11 for the LQ-1000. The bigger
problem for me was finding ribbons - though again, they are
available on-line. In the mid-1980s, I bought a "re-inker"
(essentially a tank that re-applied ink to the ribbons as
you cranked the ribbon back and forth. Worked well, but
finding suitable ink today is a problem.

Old guy