Old March 14th 18, 10:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Computer Nerd Kev

Default Do you stress test your new drives?

Ed Light wrote:
On 3/13/2018 3:09 PM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

I'd say that if you need to stress test your HDDs, then you don't
trust the manufacturer, in which case that prompts the question of
why you bought from them in the first place.

Yikes!

If you don't stress test a new drive before putting data on it then it
may dump on your data.

So, you must use some software that can run its long self-test. This
will take a while.

Or it's Russian Roulette.

It's always a bit of a gamble whatever you do, that's what backups
(etc.) are for. I don't think that repeating the initial tests that
the manufacturer should have already done will have much impact on
the odds.

--
__ __