Old September 4th 19, 05:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Default Modem or Router Issue

Paul wrote:

You could take a look for exploits against the E1000.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...s-routers.html

My first Linksys, I kept updating the firmware on it,
until the unit bricked. Which was a blessed relief, that
it finally "said goodbye" and I could buy something that
worked.

On that older design (box cost $300), the root cause of the
instabilities
isn't the firmware instructions. It's the oscillator design.

So we got about 9 years out of the E-1000; fortunately no one
targeted us in the way described by the article. When your
network is down, you want it up Today--you're not in the mood to
study oscillator design. : ) I will say that my wife was
pleased with the way that our new 5G wireless improved the speed
of her Apple devices (beyond was 2.4G was doing for her).

I did happen to notice from looking at the routers at BestBuy
that many people are streaming ALOT more bits than we are.
Learning to program in the 80's, I'm still "byte conscious".
Waste not, want not... (WNWN). Young whipper-snappers don't know
the value of a byte...LOL.

Cheers (and thanks for your support!),
Bill