Old July 12th 12, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Think I'll avoid HIS for a little while

On 10/07/2012 10:25 PM, msdos622wasfun wrote:
Hey everyone. Just thought I'd share my recent personal experience and, heck, vent a little bit.

Used to be mostly an Nvidia guy. Switched over to AMD/ATI in early 2010 with the purchase of a Radeon 5870 by HIS. Was pretty happy with it, although I made the mistake of pairing an AMD card with a motherboard that had an Nvidia chipset. Wasn't aware at the time that this isn't an ideal thing to do. Still, I only encountered a few minor problems.

Almost two years later, I want to sell it to a coworker so I can upgrade to a 6970. At that point the fan started dying; still, he purchased an aftermarket cooler, and the card is still running to this day.

Okay, so, that leaves me with the 6970, also by HIS, and I pushed that thing pretty hard with Eyefinity. But a few weeks ago it starts to fail on me -- games are crashing with flickering and corruption on the screen, with eventual system freezes/lockups. At one point when I uninstalled the drivers and wanted to do a sweep, my system wouldn't even POST with that card installed.

Really, this happened too soon. I wasn't truly planning on upgrading that card yet, since I only had it for about seven or eight months. But I'm a big spoiled brat, and I don't have the patience to go through the RMA process (based on so many horror stories I've read about).

Yeah, I think this doesn't say anything bad about HIS, as you never even
bothered to try an RMA, just went on hearsay rumour.

Yousuf Khan