Old June 1st 12, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Alexander Krizhanovsky

Default x86 or PowerPC for network processing

On Jun 2, 12:29*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I would say it's using PPC processor because it's likely cheaper. Even
though you listed a price of $250, I'm sure it's available for a lot
cheaper than that for embedded applications.

Hi Yousuf,

thanks for the reply.

I took the price from
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...omSearch=false
, for MC7448VU1600LD model. Also I found AMD Opteron 4280 which costs
about the same ($255), but has 8 64bit cores, 2.8Ghz, 48KB L1i and
L1d, 1MB L2 per core, 8MB shared L3.

However it seems AMD Opteron and Intel Xeon consume much more power.
So probably, performance to power consumption ratio is also the
reason.