Old January 12th 09, 11:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Al Dykes

Default Solid State disk for a desktop system C drive?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a sold state disk as a C drive
on a high performance desktop system? 36GB would make a fine C drive
for my work.

Newegg has 36GB solid state disks starting at 70 bucks. They feature
screaming read rates. The write rates are a little slower but still
faster than a 7200RPM hard disk.

Latency should be zero but I know that something has to happen in the
write cycle for a SSD and the summary specs don't list delay times
which would be a form of latency.

I do Photoshop. I'm thinking of using the SSD for a second disk and
dedicating it to swap, temp, and PS work files. That way, if it dies,
I haven't lost any work.

comments?

--
Al Dykes