Old April 7th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Phil

Default Acronis Vista Restore Didn't Work

"RnR" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:38:14 -0400, "Phil"
wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 16:01:05 -0500, Journey wrote:

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 16:39:26 -0400, "pen" wrote:

Vista uses a new MBR which messes up XP. Get Vistabootpro and fix
it.
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

P.S. -- would this tool have aided in my restoring my Vista image? I
thought an image was an exact image of the disk and that if in the
boot sequence it would be OK if restored.

Journey, no offense but you are confirming why I want to stay away
from Vista as long as possible. Don't misunderstand, I'm NOT
blaming you but rather learning from you that it's not worth my effort
unbugging MS's messed up new OS. Oh yeah, get some sleep grin.

Actually I didn't plan on going to Vista till at least SP1 anyway but
I'm not sure if I should wait even longer now. I haven't heard any
WOW from anyone.

Journey's problem has absolutely nothing to do with Vista, and is likely
due
to an incomplete restoration of the active partition and MBR.

The major problem that comes with a new OS is the inevitability that many
people will make the jump without any clue as to what they are doing.
People
just blindly expect the new OS to work flawlessly with all their legacy
hardware and software. When reality comes flooding in, they blame the OS,
and not their own impulsive decision-making process. It's also rather
humorous how many people look to SP1 as this panacea, as if SP1 is going
somehow make proper nVidia, HP, or Creative drivers magically appear.
Folks,
if your hardware doesn't have proper Vista drivers, or your software
applications aren't Vista ready, you will have problems. Otherwise, Vista
will run better than any previous vanilla release of a MS OS. (The
migration
from XP to Vista has been a lot smoother than 2000 to XP.)

-phil

Well for starters hopefully SP1 will fix the buggy installer. Usually
SP1 has fixed bugs in each OS, nothing more.

For the most part, I have not had any real problems with the installer. It's
just the occasional problem it has recognizing "a suitable drive" when there
are multiple drives available. Other than that, I haven't had a single
problem with Vista, on my rig.

If you're curious whether Vista will run smoothly on your system, you can
try it fror free, if you you can get your hands on a Vista DVD. When
installing, you can choose to not enter a key and activate. The resulting
installing will be unrestricted for a period of 30 days. Also, you can reset
this 30 day trial 3 times, by entering a short command into the run dialog:
slmgr.vbs -rearm

Just make sure that all your hardware has Vista drivers.

-phil